Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My Formation/Service Camp experience…

June 5 - 20, San Antonio, TX

Will prepares for the first day with the kids at camp.
Our first day at Vacation Bible School.
Hey! My name is Will Cook, I’m 27, and I’m from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I graduated from Oklahoma State in 2009 and have spent the last four years in the U.S. Marine Corps.  Now that I'm finished with the Marine Corps and have a little time on my hands, my plan is to work with the Salesian Sisters and VIDES in France for one year, beginning in July.
Last week, while at formation/service camp, we had the opportunity to work with the local parish in putting on a vacation Bible school. While we only had about 20 kids, it turned out to be a great experience, one that I think everyone really benefited from. The most inspiring part was seeing the kids learn about God’s love and forgiveness, especially when not all of them had really been able to understand it before.
Will with two of our young campers!
Will with two of our young campers!
These last couple weeks here at the Formation Service Camp have been incredibly rewarding and an experience that I won’t forget.  It’s been a privilege and a blessing to have someone so full of love, as Sister Gloria is, to teach us and guide us in how to be better mentors, leaders, and followers of Christ.  I look forward to putting into action all that I’ve learned as well as seeing what great things the other volunteers accomplish!
Will plays Jesus in one of our skits with the junior high campers.
Will plays Jesus in one of our skits with the junior high students.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Keep it up! Have a wonderful experience in France and keep in touch. Our love and prayer go with you!

    ReplyDelete